Saturday, March 2, 2013

Banana Bread

I love banana bread. It is my favorite sweet bread, and it's simple to make. Use very ripe bananas. Here is my favorite recipe (from my church's cookbook from the 1970's):


Banana Bread
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
¼ to 1 cup chopped walnuts

Cream together butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with banana pulp. Add chopped nuts. Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 for 40 to 60 minutes or until done.


This recipe makes one big loaf, or two little ones, or, if you have tiny pans like I do, 8 tiny loafs. You can cut down on the sugar without affecting the flavor very much, but the more sugar you leave in, the more moist the sweetbread will be. Also, you can replace some of the flour with oatmeal, and if will still taste delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment