Friday, March 15, 2013

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For...

Ice cream!
As the days hint at warming up, I start craving warm-weather foods, like rich, creamy, melt-on-your-tongue homemade ice cream. This is the recipe my family follows:

Vanilla Ice Cream
4 cups of 1/2 and 1/2
2 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar

Just combine everything in an ice cream maker, surround the inner bowl with ice and rock salt, and turn it on for a few hours. If it's a hand-mixer maker, crank the lever 'til you feel like your arm might fall off, and trade turns with whoever is willing. The recipe makes about a 1/2 gallon of ice cream.

Making homemade ice cream brings back memories of playing at my best friend's house when I was in elementary school. Just when we started to get bored, her dad brought out a hand cranked ice cream mixer, and my friend and I traded off turning it until our arms were sore and her dad took over the job. That ice cream was the best I'd ever tasted, though that was probably because we had worked hard for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment