Monday, January 7, 2013

Cream of Carrot Soup

In the winter, there is nothing better than a hot bowl of soup. It chases away the cold in your mind and your body. So, on one particularly cold day, I made my first recipe for this project: Carrot Soup. I was hesitant to start, because I knew that there was a lot a didn't know (and don't know) about cooking, and I didn't want to mess up. I know, that's the point, to mess up and learn by trial and error, but the little voice told me I had to get it all perfect the first time. My little voice tells me that a lot. It's not very helpful.

I read the recipe about 10 times. Maybe if I just memorized it, I wouldn't make any mistakes. I noticed I had the wrong kind of onion, no cilantro, black pepper instead of white pepper, and chicken broth instead of chicken stock (there is a difference). Not the greatest start.

I was pretty clumsy chopping the onions and the carrots, but it made me laugh. I. Love. Cooking. I love browning butter and sifting flour and stirring in ingredients. I love chopping and dicing and baking and boiling and almost everything cooking related. It gives me a peaceful energy. The only things that stop me are not having enough time, only having so much stomach to fill, and fear of messing up.

The soup turned out great. No cilantro, but I'm not very fond of cilantro, so it wasn't missed. I added extra pepper to my own bowl. I also didn't puree all of the carrots. I wanted a little substance in the soup, and if I make this soup again, I think I will try adding other vegetables at the end. Maybe cauliflower and peas? I think it would be delicious.


Life is full of delicious things.

No comments:

Post a Comment