Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Mushroom Tofu Egg-drop Soup

Soup Season has been in full swing for months now, and Mushroom Tofu Egg-drop soup is my go-to soup. I have brought this for lunch day after day. My mother and I created the recipe. She started with a basic soup and I suggested changes until we ended on this. It is very much Marielle Food.

Ingredients:
1/4-1/3 cup onion
2 tbsp olive oil or butter
5-6 mushrooms, sliced
2 cans of chicken broth
1+3/4 cup water (or just refill the can of chicken broth with water)
*optional* garlic
2-3 oz firm tofu (1/6 container), chopped
2 eggs, beaten

Fry onions in olive oil or butter until onions turn translucent. Add mushrooms, cook 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and water (and garlic if you would like). Immediately add tofu and bring soup to a boil. Add beaten eggs, do not stir yet, and let sit for 30 seconds to allow the eggs to set, then stir gently for 30 seconds. Let coast to desired temperature and serve or ladle into mason jars and refrigerate for later (lunch... or a picnic!).

Notes:
If you are making a pot to save and serve later, you can reserve one can of chicken broth to add at the end to cool the soup down.
Pardon my italics... I love stirring... and I usually overdo it.
It's not a very pretty soup, but it tastes good.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment