Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes"

A while back, I saw a recipe for "mashed potatoes" made from steamed cauliflower, and decided to try it out.

The process is fairly simple. Break up a head of cauliflower and steam it, then throw it in a food processor and blend it until it reaches a consistency similar to mashed potatoes. Add cream, cream cheese, and bacon to add a little flavor, and that's it! I like to save a few pieces of cauliflower to mix in after I blend it, just to give it a texture like mashed potatoes.

It doesn't taste exactly like potatoes, but my bother gobbled it up without any questions (we didn't tell him it was cauliflower; we just said it was prepared differently--in the food processor rather than with a masher--and he didn't suspect a thing!) He gets most of his vegetables from salsa. He's not a veggie person.

I love this dish. I like it even more than real mashed potatoes. It doesn't have the same starchy texture, but it is healthier and tastes delicious.

3 comments:

  1. this sounds fantastic and easy to do, I will so try it out! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this but never tried it. Now I will. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...how interesting...just stopped in from A to Z challenge...

    ReplyDelete