Saturday, April 6, 2013

Feet (in the Kitchen)

Hello!

Almost always after cooking, my feet hurt. I bake and cook and mix up a storm without a problem, but when I finally crawl into bed that night, my feet ache. Sometimes my back aches too. The ache feels a little good, perhaps because I associate it with a long day in the kitchen (which always makes me happy).

This weekend I made cupcakes, and, as I did so, I remembered my aching feet. I decided to pay attention to how I treated them differently while cooking. I discovered two things: one, I rarely, if ever, sit down. I stand while cooking, stirring, mixing, and even while waiting. And two, I lean back onto my heals. The kitchen has tile floors, and this starts too hurt after leaning too long.

I didn't (and don't) plan on changing how much I am on my feet while cooking, but I did try to focus on not leaning back onto my heels. I mentally checked my posture while I was working, and often rocked onto my toes before readjusting my weight so that it was evenly distributed between my forefoot and the back of my feet.

I had fun bouncing around on my tiptoes and trying to stand up straight, and, in the end, my feet didn't hurt at all. Yay!

Lesson learned: check your posture while cooking and don't lean on your heels.

Fellow A to Z'ers (and any other visitors), do you have any kitchen tips? Or favorite recipes? Let me know =)

No comments:

Post a Comment